The Vision of this Blog

The Vision of this Blog
For two millennia man has been grappling with the cost and practical application of following Jesus Christ. The vision of the authors is that we would encourage one another in this journey as we share what we are learning from Jesus through our daily experiences of life. This is not a forum to parade empty knowledge nor is it a place for prideful arguments. Instead, it is for the humble and sincere to learn together from Jesus who invites us into the kingdom of God and teaches us how to live according to this kingdom.

Oct 6, 2007

PSALM 128

The way for me to get out of a bout with discouragement or to break a bad habit or to eliminate unbelief in my life is to open up the bible and start reading it and to start talking to God about my problem. That's because God's word is like water and it has never failed me. But even when I know this I continue to neglect it more than I would like to admit. The truth is I'll never know how much the words of the bible will FULLY cleanse me until I dive into it. I mean like dive head long into it without any string attached without anything competeing against it in my heart! I desperately need to start reading the bible like I read my favorite magazines, or like I watch my next blockbuster movie, or search the internet for the latest current events around this tumultuous world. How passionate are you towards your media entertainment compared to God's word? What's the quantity and quality of time that you spend in the bible vs your media or shopping? If you're like me your quantity and quality time is spent away from God's words doing other things. This is called idolatry and it is a serious problem. Idolatry is a serious problem because it removes God's rightful place in our lives, and the result of this is disastrous. So even though I have been convicted about this in my walk with God I haven't done too much about it. God has allowed me to do this media thing and at the same time he is allowing me to experience the disastrous consequences of it. Which could be described as a very subtle and slow chipping away of all that is good. It's like nicotine or caffeine quick addiction but slow health decline. As a Christian, I hate that I have something inside of me still that won't prioritize my time with God and give him complete Lordship of my life. This is something God is still working out of me. So I finally decided to shut my door and start reading and praying to God to help me come out of this media thing and back to him in a right relationship. And God in his faithfulness sang a song to me in Psalm 128. I have to say that all along this journey of putting things before God that he, in his caring faithfullness, has shown me exactly what is at risk of being eroded away. All of which are the most important things to me: My relationship with Christ emotionally, spiritually and physically, My relationship with my wife and children and their health and quality of life, my work, the bride of Christ, Jerusalem. These are truly the things in my personal life and heart that matter most. And so this song God sang to me was Psalm 128 and it is a song that consists of everything that is crucial to me but in its right condition. The word of God has started cleansing me because it brings hope. Everything he told me I was slowly losing by putting this media thing before him will be restored IF I do my part. My part is the first verse of Psalm 128. It says it all and it is where I am going to plant my heart. Please pray for me if you are one who can identify with this struggle. I don't want anything to be before God's rightful place in my life.

1 How joyful are those who fear the LORD— all who follow his ways!2 You will enjoy the fruit of your labor. How joyful and prosperous you will be!3 Your wife will be like a fruitful grapevine, flourishing within your home.Your children will be like vigorous young olive trees as they sit around your table.4 That is the LORD's blessing for those who fear him.5 May the LORD continually bless you from Zion. May you see Jerusalem prosper as long as you live.6 May you live to enjoy your grandchildren. May Israel have peace!

1 comment:

Rthurm said...

Thanks for sharing this, I can relate to this completely, It is easier and more stimulating to look to media and other avenues rather than choosing the often hard work of being still, preparing the heart and mind to be with God; to hear from Him and to respond to Him. May God have mercy on us and give us the strength to choose narrow road